4/9/08

Idol Gives Back.

We're cynics but we're not heartless.

Wednesday night Idol Gives Back went for another run for its very successful fundraiser, raising awareness of the poor condition people, not only in Africa, but even in America have to live in. The star-studded, and I do mean star-studded, show rose more than 60 million dollars, as opposed to last year's 70 millions, although opportunities to donate are still open. From past Idols winners/contestants to Reese Witherspoon, the Jonas Brothers, Wrestling's John Cena, Ellen DeGeneres, and comedians like Dane Cook, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller, the band of television actors (Band From TV) and Miley Cyrus herself, there were tons of people in attendance. Whether it was a short taped segment, or a performance to get American to give, it seemed like Hollywood took the night off just to give and have fun. Even the 8 Idol hopefuls answered phones and took donations. I have to say Miley's little skit with Billy Crystal where they pretended that they had no idea that the other was famous was quite cute. :]

There were some good performances and some that I'm sure Perez or Buck will touch on. Miley performed "Good & Broken" and "See You Again", not neccessarily her best, but live nonetheless. I always admire a person that can perform live rather than rely on a backing track. She did look somewhat lonely, though, without her band. I guess it's not the same, trying to rock out with the Idol band... =/

Fergie sang and she blew me away. Girl has got a voice on her! She also performed with Heart, which no doubt left the youth of America scratching their heads. I was...until my mom told me then I remembered who they were ("Oh Barracuda"). Mariah Carey sang but the song made no impact on me. Her heart just wasn't in it. One performance I dreaded from the first note: Teri Hatcher and the Band From TV's rendition of Carrie Underwood's Before He Cheats. I prayed the entire song Carrie would come out and rescue her song, but to no avail. The actors that played the instruments did an awesome job, but Teri should really stick to Wysteria Lane.

The Idols performed a few numbers as well. They opened the show with "Don't Stop the Music" from Rihanna, RENT's "Seasons of Love", which, weirdly enough was the song I had learned to sing in my chorus class that very morning, and they ended the show with "Shout to the Lord". Now, being someone who has known that song since I was two or three, they just didn't pull it off. It wasn't about the setting (church or the stage), the Idol hopefuls just didn't sing it with the same flair it has if it was really sung. However, they did re-sing the song at the beginning of Thursday's show. Wednesday, they had substituted the words "My Jesus" for "My Shepherd". Thursday, they sang the original lyrics, which made me glad. The song was a little better. I just kind of hoped they would have sang the song for the sake of the song and not for show.

Tons more people that couldn't make the program weren't to busy to visit a different area of the world to see the condition some people face everyday. Miley and Billy Ray went to Kentucky, Alicia Keys, Annie Lennox, and Forest Whitaker went Africa, Dane Cook went to Burbank, The Peytons and Brad Pitt went to New Orleans, even Randy and Paula went...somewhere.

It was a pretty good (pretty long) show and a very good fundraiser. But I doubt anything will top Josh Groban's performance from last year with the African children's choir. That made me cry. I mean, how can you top that?

.selah.

but am i the only one that noticed that on thurday's show when DYLAN and COLE Sprouse had their little segment, they were labeled as ZACK and CODY? seriously? did FOX not catch that?

No comments: