4/2/08

High School Musical 3? Aren't They Through Yet?

Apparently not.



High School Musical, the very big Disney franchise that started as a small made-for-television movie, is going at it again. Only this time, they're headed for the big screen. For the original six principle cast members, this is pretty much the end of the Disney-led musical road. For director/choreographer Kenny Ortega...yeah, maybe not so much. He seems to want to continue on this money train, even to the point of adding new main cast members, including three wannabes: a mini Troy played by Matt Prokop, a mini Chad, Justin Martin, and (God forbid) a mini Sharpay, portrayed by a British Jemma McKenzie-Brown.

Now coming from a former HSM fanatic and Troyella shipper (trust me, I was) I have one major thing swirling around my mind, that many non-fans have been thinking since 2006: PLEASE STOP. High School Musical: classic. It was like the Underdog (not a JB reference). Something that was perceived to be ordinary that made it to the big times. High School Musical 2 was...not as awesome as it was pumped up to be. It did have some funny moments, some definite cliche moments, and an overall good message, since it is your quote-unquote Disney feel-good movie. But will High School Musical 3 be the best of the three?

No.

Why?

There are a couple things...in my opinion.



1. The main actors act like they don't even want to do the movie. Zac, mainly, the one that was going on to bigger and better things, seemed to be trying to distance himself from the franchise early on. Even before HSM2. Even recently, he said that he didn't want to be the guy to take HSM away from the fans. Hmmm... Plus, is it just me that thinks some of them have gotten big-headed?

Now, I am a Vanessa Hudgens fan, but even her and Ashley seem to want to...mature in their career. Both with their new movies (Will and They Came From Upstairs) and their new records. Corbin... well, I have no clue what he's doing. Monique has been busy with her Dancing with the Stars tour with Disney Alum Sabrina Bryan of the other Disney Musical franchise, Cheetah Girls. Lucas, possibly my favorite of the cast, has been working dilegently working, and doing an amazing job of staying out of the public eye when he wants to. And Zac...well, we've heard enough about him. Perez talks about him enough for me. But with all this new stuff going for them does that mean they have to alienate their fans in the process?



2. The new cast members...not all that impressed. Now, I don't know much about Justin Martin (apparently he was on Broadway) or Jemma McKenzie-Brown. She's from across the pond and, unfortunately, I haven't been to Europe since I was...three years old? But this Matt kid, the guy that nabbed the most wanted role of Jimmie "The Rocket" Soto...let's just say...I have my doubts. >.<

Honestly, I've been a fan of Tony Oller's since I saw him on As The Bell Rings with Demi Lovato, and we see how she took off. So, I only hoped Tony would get his chance, what with his voice, his looks, and his hilarious nature. Naturally, I thought he was a shoe-in for the role opposite Zac Efron. Well, according to the Mouse, I was wrong. Oller was over-qualified, as it were. So the part went to Matt Prokop. *raises eyebrow* That's one. And, from the ever reliable Era, who runs so many fan sites I lost count, informed me that the Mussos' (Yes, Mitchel Musso) don't associate with Prokop, when they were at one time chummy. *raises other eyebrow* Strike two. No one messes with my Mussos. Matt, if you want me to not hate you, please don't get a third.

But, I wouldn't have been opposed to Selena Gomez coming on as Gabriella's cousin or something...then again, I hope not. She should be able to pave her own way, and not have to hang in the curtails of six other people. I'm just praying that Ali Lohan is kept far from the movie. But I'll save that for another day. :] Oh, and some say Miley wants to reprise her cameo in the film. >.< Can you really call a 2 second shot of dancing a cameo? I don't see how she even got credited? Don't you have to at least say 3 words to get paid (this doesn't included the dancers)? Vanessa little sister Stella was in the first movie but was never credited. =/



3. I mean, come on, what can you possibly add after two movies that raises the number of viewers and lessens the corn-ball value? The songs, one-by-one, they will still get old (Getcha Head In the Game, You Are the Music in Me, and Everyday are unbearable for me) Breaking Free has been saved only because I have yet to get sick of the Nikki Flores and Josh Hoge version. You can only do some many dance-alongs before people go to a dance studio and learn how to really dance. And what plot-lines can they add that keeps it "Disney" but still brings in the money? HSM2 would have been tons more interesting if some of the rumored scenes had actually taken place, like Troy being lifeguard, Sharpay pretending to drown, thus Troy having to perform CPR on her. That's the drama people want! I mean, your actors aren't 16 years old...and neither are all your viewers. If you want to keep people hooked, you need to add a twist in there. People saw that if Troy was with Sharpay, Gabriella would be with Ryan. Obvious. Typical. Cliche.

So that's my rant. Make of it what you will. You decide if it will be the best of the three or bomb like the "Big It On"s after the original.

But because I'm just that much of a dork, I will still be in that theater in October...but only so I can write a review. I'm doing it for you guys...and because I'm strangely addicted. Darn that clever mouse. >.<

.selah.

No comments: